Saturday, January 17, 2009

The power of the [SHIFT] key

For anyone that has ever been frustrated by coputer systems and some applications like MS Access that launch in a mode the runs scripts to lock the environment down there is a secret that administrators and some developers would not like you to know about. There is a way to by pass the execution of these administrative scripts. By holding down the [SHIFT] key while the application is loading you can bypass the execution of these scripts.

Example: I have a computer that is setup to automatically log into a specified user account and run some administrative scripts to lock down the system. If I reboot the computer and start holding down the [SHIFT] key after the initial OS spalsh page appears then instead of the OS automatically logging in via the scripting it will go to the login screen so that I can log in with what ever account I want. Now if there are scripts that are tied to a user account this will not bypass that but it will bypass any scripts that are set to automatically run for that computer.

Another example: I have a MS Access database that is locked down to hide the database window and there is an Autoexec module set to execute at the launching of the application. If I hold down the [SHIFT] key and while holding it down and launch the application then I will bypass all of that and the application will open up to the database window. The only time where this will not work is when the database has been converted to the MDE file format.

I am sure that there are other applications where this feature exists though I have not done a lot of research on it.

--- 1/26/09 ---
I came across another use of the [SHIFT] key. If you want to insert a CD or DVD into your computer without being prompted to select an application to launch it then hold down the [SHIFT] key when inserting the CD or DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment